Sunday, May 29, 2011

Look At What We Started

I'm not entirely sure what compelled me to create this blog, or why I'm bothering to write anything in it. I think it was mostly because I saw everyone else's blogs and got jealous that I didn't have one to brag about. Now I do.


This is usually where people start talking about how awesome they are, or explain in great detail their stances on important social issues: like why donkeys are better than elephants, or the myth of global warming. People also tend to tell secrets about themselves that they think no one but their closest friends will see. I'm not so naive. This is the internet: nothing is secret. That is the way I like it.

I know that I am not the only person in the world that likes to know every detail about every other persons life. If I was, then there wouldn't be millions of members on Facebook. There wouldn't be blogs. Twitter would consist of useless updates. Now that I think of it, Twitter would be exactly the same. Thanks to the internet, I can now fulfill my life long dreams of knowing exactly what my best friend from kindergarten is up to. The fact that I haven't seen him in person for well over 5 years, and haven't actually had a conversation with him in over 10 years, is not a problem. I know that he has a girlfriend (who is quite attractive), his sister recently passed away, he's in college, and that he loves to party. Who needs to gossip when you can jump on Facebook and see what's really up?

"Did you hear about Josh and Jess..."
Old news, they broke up hours ago, don't you check your Facebook?
"Oh, well I heard it was because Jessica told Jo..."
No, no, no! Man, you really don't check your Facebook.

I promise this post is going somewhere. I'm just not sure where. I guess I'll conclude this little entry with a story about my semester thus far. Some may find it interesting. Others may not. If you are in the group of people who find it uninteresting: sorry.

When you are off-track at BYU-I, you have a lot of free time. I had planned to fill most of this time doing an internship. I had an interview with and had been accepted to get an internship at Get Found First (GFF) here in Rexburg. GFF is a Search Engine Optimization company. The plan was to go in to work for them 20 hours a week. I started doing all the paper work (who knew it was such a hastle to get an internship?), and talking to all the people in charge of internships and whatnot. I started to look at the requirements and one of them was that the internship needed to equal 'X' amount of hours within 'Y' amount of time. 20 hours a week wasn't going to cut it, and it would require me to work 40 hours instead. GFF was all for it. What company wouldn't want to have an intern who works 40 hours a week for free? I decided to decline. Since then I have unsuccessfully been applying for jobs all around town. I've applied for technician jobs at Nexus Blue, Gene's Electronics, and more. I've applied at the Dollar Tree, Wal-Mart, and other retail stores. I even have applied for janitorial work and for a forklift job at a factory in Sugar City. Needless to say, nothing has come from my hard work sending in resumes and filling out applications.

At least I have Monday and Wednesday night to give me a routine. I'm taking a Doctrine & Covenants class from Brother Huff. If you have a chance, you should take him for New Testament, or any religion class. But he knows a lot of about the New Testament, since he was at the Jerusalem Center for quite a while. Unfortunately one class two days a week means that I still have a lot of free time. I have come up with a few things to keep my self entertained.

The first thing I did was sign up for our ward soccer team. I mostly signed up because Katie Hatch kept on bugging me about it. I'm almost never a fan of anything I suck at it, and I definitely suck at soccer. I show up mostly so our team doesn't have to forfeit the games. I think I actually help the other team more than our own. It's been fun though, and it gives me something to do.

The second thing I've been doing is exercising. Once upon a time I was in great shape. I could hike mountains. I could run a few miles without stopping. Then one day I went on a mission and that all went down the crapper. I gained 50 pounds and lost all motivation to get into shape. Since I have a lot of free time now, I've been trying to run a mile or do some other sort of exercises every day. I was fairly successful the first three weeks, missing only two or three days. But the last week or so I've been way lazy. Wednesday I usually use the excuse that soccer is enough exercise or one day (despite the fact I always end up eating out and getting a snowcone afterwards, completely nullifying any calories that may have been burned off). The other days I might just do some pushups and situps and claim that I am letting my body rest. I think we all know the excuses we use to get out of exercising.

Check this out.

Before Mission:



After Mission:

Okay, so after uploading the pictures, it doesn't look as drastic. But trust me, it is.

Wow, I wrote a lot more than I had intended to. Anyways, if you managed to read all of this I congratulate you. If you have simply skipped to the bottom paragraph in hopes for a summary of what may have been discussed above: too bad. So long, and thanks for all the fish.

2 comments:

  1. Yay for joining the ever-wonderful blogging world! :) I absolutely loved your first post, and I'm looking forward to hearing about all your thoughts and musings. Good luck on the job search! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took Brother Huff for New Testament and I completely agree that he is amazing!


    I'm so happy you have a blog! I will be a faithful follower :)

    ReplyDelete