Monday, August 6, 2012

Like You'll Never See Me Again

A lot of people hate Facebook for a lot of different reasons, or think it's evil, a time waster, and or various other negative things. I on the other hand think it is one of the greatest leaps forward in the evolution of the human society since the invention of the telephone or T.V. (which coincidentally could both be argued as evil or time wasters).

Never before has so much information been so readily available and easily spread. In a matter of seconds news can travel  the entire world, and to people who normally would never be interested in reading or watching the news. It's like subliminally teaching the world current events. It's fantastic.

It also helps coordinate and plan events easier and more efficient than ever.

And most importantly, it lets people stay in contact with people they should be staying in contact with but for whatever  reason haven't or can't. Example: my mom’s cousin Justin. He's more like my cousin, since he's the same age as my older  brother. I have no memories of ever meeting Justin, because I was only a baby when we lived near enough to visit him. One day I got an invite from him, and I saw all my family were mutual friends so I figured I'd add him since he must be related  somehow. He messaged me on Facebook and told me he had just moved to Idaho Falls. He wanted to meet up sometime and talk about family and get to know each other. For whatever reason that never happened.

I forgot all about Justin for a few months. It wasn't until I graduated that he reappeared. My mom and dad, as well as my  Mom's side of the family came up to see me graduate. We planned out a Yellowstone trip for the day after. My dad posted  about all of this on his Facebook, and my cousin Justin saw the post. He gave my dad his phone number and before you knew  it he was headed to Yellowstone with us. We were able to catch up, and he was able to see his cousins and uncle (my mom,  aunt, and grandpa) as well as meet his cousins kids (a.k.a. me and my "real" cousins). We were able to talk to him and find out a lot about my grandmas side of the family. We had kind of lost touch with that side of the family since my grandma
died. It was really good to be informed about all the new happenings. We also had an awesome time at Yellowstone. I regret  not going down to Idaho Falls earlier on.

So long story short, it connects families as well. I can guarantee you I would have never met my cousin Justin without Facebook. In fact, I probably would of continued life never knowing he existed.

There are only two things that I hate about Facebook: seeing old friends or family making poor decisions, and seeing people I used to have a crush on getting married. Sometimes, the latter can also be the first. Both give me that gnarly sinking feeling in my stomach. If only there was some way to filter all that out of Facebook.

I guess there is a third thing I hate about Facebook: you get to see all of the awesome stuff you are missing out on. Vacations, parties, adventures. What did we ever do without digital cameras and a place to show off all of our awesome daily activities?

So yes. This is my post about Facebook. It's kind of funny, this was originally only the paragraph about the two things I hate about Facebook. Nothing more, nothing less.

1 comment: