When I started blogging I decided I wouldn't write those cliché blogs that all Mormons write about. Today I've failed. I finally gave in and decided to do a post about dating, love, and all those other words that are usually associated with the subject. I apologize now, because everything I have to say has probably been said before, and it has probably been said much more eloquently.
To begin, I'd like to just say that if there is anyone in the world to get dating advice from, I'm probably not that person. Any and every relationship I've ever had has ended in me destroying the young woman’s heart. I don't do it on purpose... it just sort of happens. I have a few theories as to why this is.
In the beginning my biggest problem with dating was simply the fact that girls didn't like me. I don't blame them. But now that the awkward high school phase has passed (at least I hope it has), I have come to realize that isn't the real problem.
I believe there is a universal law that is in place that states the following: "If there is a person of the opposite sex that you like, it is guaranteed that they will not like you. If however, a person of the opposite sex likes you, it is guaranteed that you will find any and every excuse not to like them." You see, out of the limited number of people who have wanted to date me, I've completely shot them all down. I don't know why. In fact, a few of them I even liked... until they told me they liked me.
That brings me to problem number two: lost opportunity. The biggest reason I don't date people who admit they want to date me is because I feel like there is always a better opportunity out there. Some may say that's a commitment problem, and who knows, maybe they're right? But I feel like the second I start dating someone, another girl that I like(d) will magically admit their undying love for me. It happens in the movies all the time.
Speaking of movies, what's with the movies? Everybody wants their life to work like the movies. All the girls want the guy who buys them chocolate and flowers for no reason, or who surprises them with some extravagant date. But you know what happens when a guy does that in real life? The girl kicks them square in the baby maker. Not literally, but figuratively. Nice guys finish last, it's just a proven fact. No girl wants to be seen with a sentimental girly man. It's just life.
I'll just finish with the real reason I never date anyone. The people I want to date the most, and who I could see myself having a relationship with, are the people who are the closest to me. The friend zone. Yeah, I went there. To men, those are the two most dreaded words in the history of the English language. I have a philosophy that I want to marry my best friend. So basically the people who I am in the friend zone with, are the people I want to date the most. That usually ends up not working. Because of this, the people I want to date I never admit to liking, and never ask on dates.
Girls don't understand that if you want a good husband, you gotta marry the guy who's in the friend zone. You're both comfortable with each other, you both know way more about each other than you should, you have no shame around each other (which is both a good and bad thing), and you can disagree with each other and still get along. So basically a friend zone is everything a good spouse should be. So why does it never work?
People are shallow. People friend zone those who they don't find attractive, and they do it on purpose. That way you can still be friend but use the "He's like my brother" . You may not even realize that is the reason you friend zone people, but subconsciously I'd say that everyone does it. Of course this isn't the rule 100% of the time, and just like everything else in life, there are exceptions.





So glad you're back! and I LOVE this post! It is so true. And I agree with you 98% (shocker, I know)
ReplyDeleteYay! I am so happy that you blogged again! I love it! (I really do.)
ReplyDeleteLike Allison, I totally agree with you.
I'm exactly the same -- the boys that are sweet and nice and wonderful and want to date me? Yeah, I'll have nothing to do with them. The guys that don't like me and probably never will? Yep, I'm like completely obsessed. It's SUCH a problem.
But for me, at least, I think I've come to the conclusion that I'm just a very goal and challenge oriented person, and that's where I get my motivation. So does that mean I need to change my personality?
Who knows?
And, although dating may be a cliche topic, I think everyone secretly loves it. :) Keep the posts a'comin'!
Izzy I loved this post! And I agreed with you (like Allison, around 98%). YAY!!!
ReplyDeleteI always think it's fascinating to find out guy's opinions on dating. You're a lot more similar than sometimes we think you are, haha!
P.S. Girls don't want the girly man, but they do like surprises like chocolates and flowers--AFTER you've started dating them. Before, it's kind of weird and that's when they kick you where the sun don't shine. But after you're an "item" (I feel like my parents using that word), than it's simply romantic and sweet.